Monday, September 9, 2013

Recipe Review: Vegan Sugar Cookies + Cream "Cheese" Frosting Recipe


Last week as I was heading into my birthday weekend, I decided I wanted to make something I usually only reserve for special occasions because it takes a lot of work: sugar cookies with cream cheese frosting. I love love love to make these for holidays like Christmas and Valentines day (with cookie cutters of course!).


Since I've been vegan I haven't yet found quite the right sugar cookie recipe to mimic the cookies of my childhood. The cookies I rolled out with my mom as a kid had buttermilk in them and the cream cheese frosting was to die for. It was a very distinct taste combo. While these are close, I wouldn't say they are a match. Overall I give the recipe a 6/10 with the hopes I find one that matches just a little bit better someday. I do have to give Chocolate Covered Katie props for making a healthier version of the sugar cookie as I'm sure the ones I had as a kid were hundreds of calories each, and these are only 110 calories each!

The recipe I used can be found here, on Chocolate Covered Katie's website. I love that it only makes 9 cookies (mine actually turned out to be 8 after I ate some dough right from the bowl!) because why in the heck would my husband and I need more than 9 cookies!?! A recipe can always be doubled for holiday gatherings.


I made the cream cheese frosting by kind of winging it, but it turned out really good.

Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting

2 Tbl Vegan Cream Cheese (I use tofutti)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Start by working the cream cheese a little with a spoon to warm it up. Add the powdered sugar and once combined, add the vanilla to make it a little runnier/creamier. Throw in a drop or two of food coloring if desired. This should make enough for at least 8 cookies!




What kind of holiday baking traditions have you veganized? Did you find a perfect match or are you still working on it?


No comments:

Post a Comment