Saturday, September 7, 2013

Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday... to me!


Today I turn 25... yikes. A quarter of a century. Basically an old woman. I am trying not to dwell on it too much. I think this year officially marks the beginning of no longer wanting to be older and wanting to instead start counting backwards on my birthdays. The last year has been really good to me and I have much to be thankful for. I started running, I spent the last year eating vegan, and I have never felt better. I also got bangs, which was quite a big deal! I finished my 2nd year of the PhD and am now onto the 3rd. What could 25 possibly bring that would be better than all that? I guess I will find out!

My colleague and friend Jenna (who loves to bake even more than I do) made me a vegan birthday cake this year. She is so thoughtful! I requested chocolate and peanut butter and man did she deliver! I don't have the exact recipe to share but she said the chocolate cake is a wacky cake recipe (they were quite resourceful during the war).


Wacky Cake
(basic wacky cake recipe, not sure what variation my friend used!)

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon vinegar
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup cold water

Mix dry, then add wet. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.


Isn't it pretty??


Look at those layers!

For my birthday my husband and I are heading to Chicago because all I want to do on my birthday is eat, and where better for vegan eating in the midwest than Chicago? Restaurant reviews coming soon.

Usually for my birthday I go out for fettuccine alfredo. Obviously that is not my tradition anymore (love for the cows instead). Do any of you have birthday traditions that you uphold even as a vegan? Did you start new ones? 

1 comment: